Thursday, February 19

formal fridays

i have this drawer. it's in my dresser in my room. well, it used to be my room- now it's where velzy and ivy sleep when we are at papa and grandma's. i still have a drawer though. it's filled with good stuff, and when i say good stuff, i mean good stuff. things like: a bun's of steel work out vhs, a fuzzy leopard print photo album, a pair of size 1 volcom capris that i every so often try to squeeze on and can't, a ring some guy gave me in highshool, some jewelry, lots of coins from various asain countries that my grandpa used to bring me when he would come back from business trips, a mini diablo key chain (that velzy is sleeping with tonight {thursday night that is, but it's now friday morning at 1}). i was going through "my drawer" the other day when i came across a bunch of my high school dance pictures- not all of them but most of them. they are awesome and just looking at the pile of them makes me laugh. ah, high school. so, i have decided that the next few weeks worth of friday's are now "formal friday's" each friday dedicated to one magical night of my teens.
i am sort of bummed that my first homecoming dance picture is not around, i will look for it but for the time being we will skip it and move on. moving on, i give you- winter formal 1998.



date: jason tobin (if you are feeling bad about missing out on homecoming, don't. it was the same guy- same porcupine hair. subtle differences- i had a purple dress (that my mom made), french tip nails, bad hair, and i "liked" him).
dress and jewelry: an amazing long black velvet thing with a really high slit. a necklace that my dad gave me- it's gold and has a heart pendant and one side of the heart has a few blue rhinestones (what are those ones called?) that looks like a wave, so i liked it. and i was really pumped on the rad dagger nails- they were really fun to dig into girls on opposing soccer teams that i didn't particularly like.
other magical details: i think i might have "broken up" with him right before the dance and we still went together. yeah, i am pretty sure that is how it went. so that was an awkward evening. this dance was at knott's berry farm and that is all i remember- it must have been awesome cause i remember so many details.

and one of the must do activities at a dance- take a picture with the varsity soccer girls that were there- check out the leg that is being shown- yow!


hope you had a good laugh, i promise things will only get funnier from here on out. be sure to tune in to next weeks formal friday for jr prom. same bat time, same bat channel.

31 comments:

Melissa said...

oh. my...... (then speechless)

those are the first and only words that popped out of my mouth when I saw these.

and then I did this:

whahahahahahawhahwhah
ahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! ha ha ha!

something like that.

I'm so excited about next week formal Friday. Thanks for sharing you hot mamma!!! =)

Rae said...

Hi Ashley- I left you a comment forever ago letting you know I stalk your blog (we grew up in the same stake.)
Anyway, just wanted to tell you I totally love this idea. Reminiscing about the glory days is so fun, hope you don't mind if I copy!!

Mrs. Case said...

I, for one, recall that night vividly. My boyfriend took me to the McDonald's right near the park (it has a rollercoaster theme to it) and we arrived in style via his 1988 Honda Civic.

It was drizzling that night but I still found a way to get onto the Supreme Scream in my long, formal gown. Today, I'd be willing to cut off my right arm just to fit back into that dress!

I still have my picture of me and my friends in the giant, novelty chair. I thought that thing was so freaking cool. Looking back, my boyfriend totally looked like a limo drive so at least be thankful your date dressed up! Ha!

The Grahams said...

First of all... is that ginormous red velvet chair you girls are sitting on real?? I have never seen a chair so big! That is awesome! Can't wait to see next weeks picture!

echo said...

i agree with melissa. my reaction was about the same as hers.
your dates hair is killin me off. so funny!!!
and...um...yeah, great gams by the way.

echo said...

i agree with melissa. my reaction was about the same as hers.
your dates hair is killin me off. so funny!!!
and...um...yeah, great gams by the way.

Erika said...

Great idea...formal fridays! I LOVE that hair and those nails. OH, and that date of yours has got hair to die for! I laughed out loud when I saw that picture and, in the process, startled poor Jane. Too funny. I love going back in time and doing the "Remember when..." Maybe I'll have to do it sometime. Looking forward to next Friday.

Leilani said...

Those red nails...AWESOME!! Love the idea of posting old pics from high school. I can't wait til next week.

The Trotter Family said...

Talk about a flashback! Jason Tobin, he was such a cutie. I think I could still name most of the girls on that ginormous chair...I never realized how many Ashley's there were on that team!

McLove said...

Hilarious! I love your velvet dress and his flaming spikes:) I recognize a couple of girls from your group photo from AYSO. Good times:)

Jill said...

Oh my goodness. You totally look exactly the same! You would die if you saw mine! How funny!

Smiths said...

This is hillarious. I gotta hand it to you- I wince just looking though my "drawer" of stuff, let alone blogging about it. You're rad.

heidi said...

wonderful--a friend of mine does "flashback fridays" and i've thought of doing it too, but have i...no, i guess its on my to do list. your dance was awesome--the nails, the date, and especially the sweet chair.

liko said...

wowzahs!!! haha! you got me laughing, rolling laughing, ashley!! and you are so brave to post high school stuff. um, i try to forget about it...check out those legs - they look the same, and you look the same, but you look hotter, and skinnier now as a mama. haha!! size 1? hello! never can say i fit that! and i love your date's hair - sooo trendy. 1998 - i was a junior. knottsberry farm - how fun!

betsy said...

thank you for this.....

Meg said...

Haha! I can not believe your dates hair, it is unreal! I love this idea, and wish my high school photos were here with me in Hawaii! You gotta love High School.

Anonymous said...

This totally made my night. Thanks Ash! And of COURSE I have size 1 pants... UM NO! I don't recall ever wearing that size.

The Peterson Family said...

LOVE your date's hair. It totally rocks! I can't wait to see next weeks!
Lisa

Robyn said...

Wow, that is funny. I have a box just like your drawer at my mom's. Now that I have a scanner, I might have to copy your idea. But wait, I look nothing like I did in my formal pictures, but you look the same! Actually, you look more grown up and even more beautiful now, but why is it that you don't look a day older? No fair! I forget that you went to my school. I remember that big chair picture. And I remember Kelly and Yuka too!

ashley said...

yes, everyone please do formal fridays it would be so funny!

Malia said...

Those pictures are priceless!


Hey you guys wanna come with us to panama? It'll be lots of fun! We're going to an island called Morro Negrito look it up and come with us! =)

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

awesome! you look the same only with a better style. I'm tempted to blog my prom picture. The dress was so out of control. My food blog peeps would be freaked out. oh well I might have to anyway....

the porcupine hair dude is awesome. I hope his hair style hasn't changed

Katie said...

So funny Ashley! I haven't checked your blog in forever! HOw is CA? I miss it!

chanel said...

what a fun idea!
it helps a lot that you haven't changed in 11 years! i seriously wondered if you edited your face today into that picture- CRAZY!
umm, nice smokin hottie group pict, good see you were able to come out of your shell! :)

and your date's hair- wow!

stef j. said...

that is just all sorts of amazing and fabulous...

I LOVE IT!! i seriously want to do it too. hmm, high school pics are in storage in utah ... maybe in a few years i'll return to zion and get 'em.

his hair. your nails. your thighs. the fact that you look the same. and his hair. wow.

LOVE IT!!

lauren said...

awsome! post more i want to see!

Aubrey Jane said...

Love Formal Fridays! Can't wait to see this weeks! My formals were sooo long ago - I don't dare post the pictures. Someone might question if it's really me! I've not aged well. But you look just the same!

K+C=M+K said...

Oh yes, that hair... who could have made it through high school without that hair. I love the velvet dress- I sported one at least twice to different dances. And I have to say, your date was at least cute! He reminds me of the guy that plays Edward in Twilight- see it? No?

Melinda said...

i remember the big chair and for some reason i remember you going with that guy. ha ha, memories.

cute boppies!

Melinda said...

i remember the big chair and for some reason i remember you going with that guy. ha ha, memories.

cute boppies!

The Bradys said...

seriously dying! i totally remember that dance... even better i saw jason last night hahahahah and u r so right, u guys broke up that day! hahah