Monday, October 11

sister sass


ivy. oh, ivy.
when asked to describe ivy the first word that usually comes to mind is crazy.  crazy sweet, crazy funny, crazy independent, crazy naughty, and lately crazy bossy and sassy.
whining is public enemy number one in my book but sass comes in a close second.  ivy has gotten super sassy and i am determined to rid her of it.  the other night i was reminded by my dad of the good old wash your mouth out with soap routine so i threatened her with it.  the threat of the soap made her simmer down a bit... but tonight she told me she was the boss with her little smirk.  so she got the soap.  
and, it was funny.  it was not the "this is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you"  it was, i am taking great pleasure in sticking a bar of dove soap in that little mouth of yours.  and soap got stuck in her teeth.  and she was crying.  and inside i was laughing.  and luke was laughing on the outside.  and velzy was saying she will never be sassy.
then we washed out the soap. 
and then she threw up in the toilet.
and, being the good, kind, nurturing mother that i am i was still laughing a bit on the inside.
a few minutes later after a little talk about sass and snuggle, she was telling us about her throw up.  she had eaten some spinach ravioli earlier and there was some leafage in her throw up.  she told us that she had eaten a little ravioli ball and that Jesus made it grow and it came out of her belly a leaf.  
and then we were all laughing on the outside.
ivy. oh, ivy. 

12 comments:

chanel said...

oh my goodness, this is the best post ever! soap. good ol soap. i have done it to sister sass numero uno and it works something beautiful, on the sassy one and the observers! and heck yeah you take joy in it, cause there is just something about teaching a lesson that strengthens your inner mama power!!! i sound mean.
the picture is priceless.

Denae said...

Wow that baby looks like you! Betsy said she did & you know you think "how much can a newborn really look like a person" but for real! She is Ashley, Ashley, Ashley.
I love your girls. Ivy is a funny, funny lady. I love that she threw up. Taj always is dramatic & gagging when he gets the soap. Big baby.
Oh & maybe don't get too attached to Lola. My friend offered to trade you if you want a boy. She is due next month & wants a girl. I am sure he'll be cute.
Thanks for the uplifting comments. I'm getting excited! It's looking good for Huntington Beach for us. His job is in Seal Beach.

Mariko said...

I've been seeing a few sassy girls posts lately. Maybe there's something in the air. Amaya is always saying stuff about being the boss, and that she can "do whatever she wants."
Grrrr.

mahina said...

love that story! awesome! i wonder if it is a second child thing, b/c it sounds a lot like our second. hmmmm??? good luck with that one! i haven't tried the soap thing, but i may just have to see if it works w/ our sasser. we've used tabasco sauce and they don't like that so much!

love the picture!

Meg said...

Oh Ivy! You are crazy, crazy funny, and clever.

j,d and little b said...

hahah GROSS... that was funny, but kinda almost made me throw up too! haha

heidi said...

ahh--soap...cruz has gotten the soap treatment too. i tell him we have to wash out all the nasty words. :) it is amazing how fun and satisfying it is too. he he. one of my girlfriends does tabasco sauce...

Missy said...

This story made me laugh too. But, that last line she gave you had me laughing out loud. I wish I knew her, I'm still laughing.

I have forgotten about soap. Sometimes Avery gets sassy...hmm...

Erika said...

SO funny! Jane and Ivy sure do have a lot in common. Unfortunately I'll have to wait another year or so before I can try the soap thing. Right now we're dealing with MAJOR meltdowns. She makes me want to stay at home...ALWAYS. Sadly, I can't. OH, and I love how Velzy was sold on not being sassy after seeing Ivy's punishment...nice!

Erika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron and Meg said...

She may be super sassy, but she's also super cute! That's a great story, especially the leaf growing inside her.

The Bradys said...

LMAO! Seriously this is hilarious! U are so me to the T I love it. And I havent tried soap yet- Vinegar has been my partner in crime though quite a few times. Works wonders i tell ya! Soap may have to come nxt though haha Ivy u crack me up as much as your mom does!